14 May 2011

Birthday Cake!




So here we go. Welcome to the beginning. I thought I would start with something pretty, though this cake has plenty of substance too.


It’s the aptly titled “I can’t believe you made that cake” from Lorraine Pascales’ Baking Made Easy. A book which I think is great-excellent value for money with a wide range of baking ideas.



I made this for a dear friends birthday and it went down very well. It’s definitely one for the chocoholics and sweet-toothed! The interior is a basic chocolate sponge and it is encased in layers of very sweet chocolate buttercream. It’s definitely one I’ll be making again for the up and coming wedding party season.





8 comments:

  1. The cake looks amazing. It will perfect for the summer weddings with all the fruit. Cant wait to see more. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cake(!) is there any left?

    You need to publish some instructions on how to eat this one - it's like a fortress, just missing a chocolate moat. I'd probably dismantle the chocolate defensive wall first using a few strong blows from my fork. An aerial attack on the protective fruit would probably come next. Conventional desert eating methods should then suffice for the sponge once those two are dealt with.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Aish, cant wait for your wedding times! :)

    Hahaha Andrew....the defensive wall almost didn't make it to the cake, I had to hide the chocolate cigarellos from Zunaid for two weeks prior and had to keep people from pinching them as I assembled the cake! The cake is long gone,what was left got polished off by a certain someone for breakfast the next day...I suppose people with PhDs in Nutrition should not admit to such things,so let's not name any names!;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm! Does this advent of the blog mean we get to have more free samples?!? ;) And the perogative of any cook is to have the left-overs for breakfast ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ofcourse Emily-extra benefit of being good friend of the zen baker ;) true Em but I feel a warning about the levels of sugar in the icing might be in order...if going to have for dinner AND breakfast then perhaps keep a dentists number close to hand....;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved my cake Zen, thank you so much once again! I cannot wait to have more! Naz x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Website looks superbly brilliant. The cakes look and taste truly amazing. Open a shop so everybody else can sample how good they are.
    Zunaid xXx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, agree with Zunaid - need to open that bakery! Cant believe I missed the cake.... xo

    ReplyDelete